Platform for Non-Invasive Observation of Cardiovascular Disorders using Retinal Image AnalysisTechnology #hsu-w-02
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
The global market for cardiovascular monitoring and diagnostic devices is projected to reach US$2.6 billion by 2024. Asia-Pacific ranks as the fastest growing market over the forecast period led by the following factors:
• growing population and disease burden
• developing healthcare systems
• establishment of dedicated heart care hospitals and cardiovascular disease centres
• proliferation of well-funded private hospitals
The arteriolar-to-venular diameter ratio (AVR) is a well-known index for the diagnosis of diseases such as diabetes, hypertension or cardiovascular pathologies. It requires repeated measurements of the diameters of the arterioles and venules in the retinal images. It provides information only on retinal vessel calibre and does not take into account the many structural alterations in the retinal vasculature.
The software extracts retinal vascular structure and derive quantitative measures from retinal images to describe the characteristics of the retinal vessels. It can compute automatically the following parameters:
1. retinal vascular calibre
3. branching angle
4. fractal dimension
5. junction exponent deviation from retinal fundus photographs.
In addition, it can trace retinal vasculature, classify vessel type (venule or arteriole), detect optic disc and position the measured grid following the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study protocol automatically.
Diagnostics and Research Tools
STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
1. Research tool for investigating early vascular diseases through non-invasive retinal images (e.g. hypertension, diabetes, stroke, heart disease, kidney disease, and cognitive impairment).
2. Potential screening and risk stratification tool for cardiovascular disease in the population.
3. Potential tool to evaluate vascular structural response in clinical trials for monitoring disease and modifying therapies (e.g., hypertension).
1. Provides an objective assessment of retinal vascular changes
2. Has been validated in numerous population-based and cross-sectional studies
Patent pending. Available for licensing in India.