Wirelessly Powered Light Delivery Device for Photodynamic TherapyTechnology #2017-346
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
Primary market: Oncology market
• $109 billion by 2020
• Segmented into drugs, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, hormonal therapy, hyperthermia, stem cell transplant and other therapies
Specific market: Photodynamic therapy market
• Valued at USD 2,031.3 Million in 2016.
• Estimated to reach USD 3,095.9 Million in 2022, growing at a compound annual growth rate of 7.30% between 2016 and 2022
It is a light-emitting device that can be implanted near a tumour and powered wirelessly by a radio-frequency field. The light delivered by the device activates light-sensitive drugs (photodynamic therapy), destroying malignant cells with minimal side effects outside of the treatment region.
STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
2. Hepatocellular carcinoma
1. Non-mutagenic (can be performed multiple times without fear of introducing oncogenic DNA mutations)
3. High selectivity to cancer tissue
4. Can deliver multiple doses of light to suppress tumour growth.
5. Can activate photosensitizers through thick tissues (>3 cm).