Green Building Materials- Biochar as Partial sand replacement for cementitous compositesTechnology #2016-214
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
* Biochar is prepared from mixed wood saw dust, available locally using pyrolysis process
* The produced char sequesters high percentage of carbon ( up to 82% by our production method) in its chemical structure.
- * A carbon sequestration and waste management strategy
* Scanning electron microscopic image of biochar particles after production and in cement mortar
* The fibrillar shape of biochar act as micro-reinforced in hardened mortar paste
* Biochar as partial sand replacement in mortar increase compressive strength by 30% and 25% at 7 day and 28 day respectively.
* Fibrillar biochar particles act as micro-reinforcement in hardened paste.
- * Use of biochar to replace part of sand results in lower permeability. Total water absorption is lower by about 40% compared to control mortar.
* Coefficient of sorptivity or rate of water absorption is lower by about 50% compared to plain mortar
* Lower permeability compared to reference mortar.
- * Biochar densifies the cement mortar paste by micro-filler effect that reduces the effective porosity of the matrix.
Normal sand replacement, Crushed rock sand replacement